Under the auspices of the British government and the Governor of Nova Scotia, many of the early settlers were enticed to the region from Germany, Switzerland and the principality of Montbeliard. They came to be known as the Foreign Protestants and after a short stint in Halifax settled in nearby Lunenburg County in 1753. They were soon joined by pre-Loyalists from New England. Together, they prospered and contributed to the rich heritage and diverse culture that exists in Lunenburg County today.
Liverpool, the county seat of Queens County, was founded in 1759 by New England Planters. Until the outbreak of the American Revolution, Liverpool maintained strong ties with the American colonies. From 1776 to 1815, Liverpool was the base of Nova Scotia's privateers and is still known today as the "Port of Privateers." Once a hub for shipbuilding, today Queens County is one of Nova Scotia's centers for lumbering and fisheries.
Queens is home to the Southwest Nova Biosphere Reserve, recognized as being one of the world's most important nature areas and one of only 15 Biospheres in Canada; and Old Town Lunenburg, a UNESCO World Heritage site, is the best surviving example of a planned British colonial settlement in North America.
In 1783, more than 10,000 settlers loyal to the British crown arrived in Shelburne (then Port Roseway) after fleeing the disastrous consequences of the American Revolutionary War.
These Loyalists, including Black Loyalists, Black Pioneers, indentured blacks and some slaves, helped to lay out and build the town and made the settlement one of the largest communities in North America.
The Black Loyalists were allotted land in what became Birchtown, on the nortwest arm of Shelburne Harbour, forming the first largest freed Black settlement in North America.
The area was also settled by Scottish and Irish immigrants. In June, 1818, Welsh settlers arrived from Carmarthen and Cardigan in Wales and formed the first Welsh settlement in Canada, in a community on the Roseway River called New Cambria, later named Welshtown.
Historically, Lockeport was part of the area known as Ragged Islands which spanned from East Green Harbour to Little Harbour. The area was first settled around 1760-61 by settlers from the New England States. Among the first to arrive were Josiah Churchill and Jonathan Locke, M.D. During the 1800's the area flourished with a booming West Indies trade and a thriving fishery. Towards the end of the 19th century Lockeport also prospered with strong tourist business.
The counties are dotted with beautiful salt and fresh water beaches, and have unlimited opportunities to just relax and enjoy the scenery. Contact us to learn more about living here, but don't be surprised if you hear the sounds of the ocean in the background!